Hope things are flowing and glowing your way. Today marks day one of doing yoga again since September 3rd .
Building a habit is fun but you must commit to it daily. I realized that time spent flipping through Instagram can be better spent towards building a habit.
I feel there is always time to do that thing you really want. The question to ask is : When are you going to flipping commit? I’ve asked myself that and now that I am airing out the stinky laundry, there is nowhere to hide.
Today, I listened to an inspiring podcast episode – ‘Playdate with Sarah Jones’ – where she interviewed the artist Shantell Martin. One of many sections that spoke to me is about the idea of saying ‘Yes’, ‘No’, or ‘Maybe’ to something.
When the artist says ‘Yes’ to something she is all in. Saying ‘No’ allows you to build a strong foundation as an artist. One thing I love about that is that ties into one’s habits as well. What is one thing you can say ‘No’ to that in turn allows you to say ‘Yes’ to?
One behavior I’m tweaking is limiting time on social media to 30 minutes a day. For now that is my goal.
My steps to building a habit:
- Say ‘Yes’ to that habit and decide to commit to it.
- Write down briefly why you want to do it.
- Schedule and decide its duration. Keep it simple.
- Allow oneself to only miss a day.
- Have a location where to track one’s progress.
- Finally, write down a list of excuses you make and keep them in mind when they pop up.
The last step is important for me because I can get caught up in a sea of excuses. I believe that when you are mindful of what your mind tells you, you can shelve the excuses and get more done.
What habits are you trying to start or get back on track with? Please share your thoughts and ideas in the comment section below.
- Photo by Jazmin Quaynor on Unsplash
- ‘Play Date’ by Sarah Jones. All of the different characters you hear are her. This is one of my favorite podcasts for inspiration. If you are on an android, you can find it on spotify.
Link to podcast http://sarahjonesonline.com/podcast/